am I a candidate
The LAP-BAND® System is not right for everyone. Here are some of the things we will consider when evaluating your candidacy for obesity surgery.
- Your BMI is 40 or more
- Your BMI is 30 or more and you have one or more serious medical conditions associated with obesity.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success.
- You do not have any other disease that may have caused your obesity.
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist who is treating you.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are addicted to drugs or alcohol and you are not clean and sober.
While the LAP-BAND® System is an effective treatment for morbid obesity, the pounds do not come off by themselves. The LAP-BAND® System is an aid to support you in achieving lasting results by limiting food intake, reducing appetite and slowing digestion. However, your motivation and commitment to adopt a new lifestyle are extremely important for long-term weight loss. You must be committed to new eating habits for the rest of your life. Exercise is an equally important component of a changed lifestyle.
Further Lap band information: http://www.lapband.com/